Why Does This Blog Exist?
I try not to blog unless what I am trying to convey could be interesting and cannot be found elsewhere.
The posts about art, and indeed this blog itself, owe their existence to La Fée Culturelle: after leaving a few rather lengthy comments, I thought I should probably write down properly what I was trying to say, and add a few images! Then, despite my best intentions, it started to grow…
What Is It About?
I have no professional knowledge of the subjects I write about, so please doubt, correct me if I am wrong, and leave your comments!
It is not meant to be taken too seriously, just something to read over a coffee.
English is my third language, and this shows. Please let me know if you find any such issues.
The image sources I use most frequently are:
- Wikimedia Commons – the biggest and the easiest to use.
- Museums’ digital collections, including The British Museum, The Royal Collection, Victoria and Albert Museum and The J. Paul Getty Museum.
- Art databases Artcyclopedia, Europeana collections, Réunion des Musées Nationaux – Grand Palais (in French), La Red Digital de Colecciones de Museos de España (in Spanish) and Bildindex (in German).
- Clipart comes from Pixabay, Kisspng and freepik.
Images-related tools I use are:
- 1001 fonts and 1001 free fonts: both these websites are free, the allow to try fonts online;
- Pixlr Editor: my favourite image editor;
- Pic Monkey: it can rotate an image by an arbitrary angle.
Website image credits:
- Pinboard as a base theme, see onedesigns.com for further details. I wanted to customise Pinboard a little, so I have created a child theme using this tutorial;
- Filezilla to manipulate theme and image files on the host server;
- Google Analytics; to enable it, I have installed this WordPress plugin.
This is how I debug my WordPress site: in
public_html/wp-config.php, I set
define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true); and
define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);. This allows to write to
/wp-content/debug.log using PHP’s built-in
error_log() function, e.g.
error_log( print_r($multidimensionalarray, TRUE) );. More details here.